Home » Research » Labs » Laboratory of Experimental Psychology

The Laboratory of Experimental Psychology was established in the School of Philosophy of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens in 1926 by Professor Theofilos Voreas and was appended to the first Chair of Philosophy.  It was the result of long-lasting efforts that began in 1911.  Under the leadership of Professor Voreas, the Psychological Laboratory offered important services both for the practical exercise of students as well as for the promotion of  psychological research, the most important of which have been published in the Annals of the Academy of Athens and in the Analects of Theofilos Voreas.  Remarkable studies have also been published by the first researchers of this laboratory, among whom A. Garmati-Theodoropoulou, Mar. Kissavou, A. Kouki, and Aik. Striftou-Kriara.

Theofilos Vorreas was succeeded by Giorgos Sakellariou, as Director of the Laboratory, who adapted in Greek the intelligence scale of Simon-Binet, as revised by Lewis Terman, and developed his own personality scale, known as Terman-Sakellariou. Despite the difficulties that G. Sakellariou was faced with, he managed to produce remarkable teaching and research work.  Mrs. S. Paraskeva-Sakka had an important contribution as well. During the tenure of G. Sakellariou, four departments were established in the Psychological Laboratory:  (a) psychological research; (b) professional orientation; (c) clinical psychology, and (d) counseling for parents and young adults.

After the retirement of G. Sakellariou, the oversight of the Psychological Laboratory was assigned to Philosophy Professors I. Theodorakopoulos, E. Moutsopoulos and An. Yiannaras, as for a significant period of time there was no Psychology Professor in the School of Philosophy.

An independent Chair of Psychology in the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens was established in 1978, and the Psychological Laboratory was appended to it.  Ioannis Paraskevopoulos was elected Professor for this Chair, who also undertook Director’s duties for the Psychological Laboratory since 1979, continuing the work of his predecessors.  His contribution was particularly important in expanding teaching of Psychology in the various Departments of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.

Today, the Psychological Laboratory is located on the 5th floor of the School of Philosophy. It supports the conduction of student and faculty research in the area of Experimental Psychology, Cognitive Psychology and Neuropsychology.